Friday, July 6, 2007

First group arrives

So the first group arrived. Too many young ones for my liking but that’s how it is.

Every one’s a character and we need to show them as much love as we can. It’s been good fr our three young volunteers to have the little ones to look after. Very proud of how they have done so far.

The weather has been pretty good so volleyball has featured large (and I have been TOTALLY non-competitive!!). Large water balloons have also been a prominent feature from my office window. What would you expect.

I called home to speak to Pete today and felt for him – I remember the days after my hip-op and they were miserable, not being able to turn over in bed, restless and in pain. For Pete it must be much worse. So I feel for him. And miss him being here.

We’ve played a few games and just generally hung about, but I think everyone’s having a good time. After reading Shane Claiborne’s thoughts on community, this place feels a little bit like the kingdom. Everyone being loved and respected for who they are. I guess that’s always been what’s special about it, but only now have I realized. We can be slow learners.



We had 30 people in the house last night so it was busy. I bought a deep fat fryer for chips and a microwave. So that made the kitchen a little easier. But the food has been a challenge.


The Romanians made a corn porridge and smantana (sour cream) dish last night – our three young ladies bravely sat down to it, but couldn’t come close to eating it. They felt so bad, but it was funny. Out came the pot noodles….

So that’s it for now. Miss you all at home.

No comments: