Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Only in Romania

It’s 1.45am. Today’s been one of those “only in Romania days”. We booked Norman to bring the group to Brasov in his bus at 11.00am. 10.30 he calls to say it’s his birthday and he’ll send someone else (he only just remembered?). At 10.50 he calls and says the police are in a crackdown on mini-buses and now no-one can do it, but he’s trying to find someone. At 11.15 he says he’ll be here in ten minutes, he promised us someone so doesn’t want to let us down. It’s good of him. He misses most of his birthday and risks losing his license if they catch him apparently.

First stop the chair lifts in Brasov. We’re all excited. They close all day Tuesday. Shoot. Ah well, we’ll go to the market. When we get there, they’ve bull dozed it. Remember it’s over 30 degrees here in a hot car and packed mini-bus.


From there it improves. We get the cable car up Brasov – they all walk to the big sign which is only five minutes but my hip wouldn’t allow me to go.

Then on to bowling – where I beat the ever competitive Nico on my last bowl J.

Then the highlight of the day – the Bella Musica for dinner – the famous Mexican restaurant. Amazing Beef Fajitas as always. It’s great to catch up with Nico and Flori. And great to get a good meal.

And everyone LOVES their food.

Back to the villa via Zizin for the NI team. But we don’t get out of the car as we can’t locate any friendly faces. But they get a little taste of Gypsy life as we drive through.

Back at the villa I have deep chats with four of the Valenii girls and realize in a new way just how deeply they love and care for us (and need us). Some have sent me letters with sisters and friends. They move me to tears. They so need us to keep loving them back.

As I sit here sweating as I type, a huge storm is coming over the mountains. The lightning flashes are lighting up the sky at a frantic pace but in total silence as they are still in the distance The air is turning cooler. God is in this place, this country, these kids. In me. In our community here. And although I now yearn for home after eight days, already I long to come back.

(And Norman got a twenty quid tip. He was stunned!!!!!)

No comments: